My twitter friend and fellow writer, Corey Seeley of Tiny Voices, nominated me for the Liebster award. This award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
Thank you so much for nominating me and valuing my little corner of the internet!
The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
The rules for receiving this award
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the questions that the tagger set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you've tagged to answer.
3. Choose people and link them in your post.
4. Go tell them!
5. No tag backs.
11 Things about me
1. I love that this award is structured around the number eleven.
2. I am a genuine scientist, with a lab coat, gloves and microscope.
3. I get overly excited about my birthday and celebrate it for the full month of August.
4. I think forced cuddles are the best kind. My chihuahua does not agree.
5. I wish my feet were bigger.
6. I make everyday decisions based on apocalyptic scenarios. (I should put my Chapstick in my pocket and wear comfortable shoes just in case of zombies, blah, blah, blah.)
7. Mother Goose has nothing on me. I constantly make up weird songs and rhymes for Alice.
8. I will read any book, on any subject, if it is well and beautifully written.
9. I am a magic playing, comic-con going, Tolkien respecting, movie geeking, nerd.
10. Leeches. No.
11. I don't like cartoons.
Questions from Corey
1. If you could cowrite a novel with any author in the world, who would it be and why?
Chuck Palahniuk. I am fascinated at how he is able to delve so deep and go to such dark places. I would love to know his secrets and how he manages to write whatever he wants, never fearing the shock and horror that may ensue.
2. Do you have a favorite novel?
Yes. Several. Jurassic Park and Jane Eyre are probably my all time favorites. I read them at least once a year.
3. What's the most unusual story you've ever written?
Probably this short story based on my own honeymoon.
4. What genre of writing do you feel you'll have the most success in?
I have no idea. I love to read YA, so my writing tends to be geared towards that or New Adult.
5. At what age did you first get a glimpse at the writing world?
I have always been an avid reader (raised by school teachers) but I never really thought about crossing over to the writing side until a few months ago. I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan and thought 'That is the book I would have written if I could write a book.' So I decided to see if I could write a book during NaNoWriMo.
6. Who us your favorite author? Why?
Ugh. So hard to choose. Probably Michael Crichton. I love how every book of his reads like a movie and the fiction feels like reality. His research is so thorough and every book is different yet equally exciting.
7. Do you hope to get professionally published, or go the indie route? Why?
Ohh, I don't know yet. I feel like I am such a greenhorn in this writing world. As it stands, I envision getting an agent and seeing where that leads.
8. 2012 is over, what is the biggest thing you've accomplished this past year?
I raised a baby. That was hard.
With writing, I decided to try something completely out of my comfort zone and managed to discover a new love in the process. My writing goal for NaNo was to finish the book and have one person read and enjoy it. I succeeded and it feels so good to bring someone into my world and know they care about my characters as much as I do. I can't wait to do it again.
9. Do you have any major goals for 2013?
I would like to finish editing my NaNo novel and query agents. And keep writing, everyday.
10. Are you currently working on any big writing projects? Explain.
My NaNo novel is currently titled Lucid (may change to The Lucid Chronicles) and is a steampunk, western, YA adventure. I am editing it now and it will need a sequel at some point. I recently started a YA novel about arctic mermaids, vikings and princes in 14th century Russia, titled Rusalka.
11. Where do you want your blog to be this time next year?
I am not sure. I feel like it is a mix of photography, lifestyle and writing and also a way to share pictures and stories with far away family and friends. I might need to separate out the writing posts, but I am not sure if I have time for two blogs. I would like to reach more followers and connect with more bloggers.
My nominees are...
Elise Martinez of Everyday Elise
Ambrose Dial of Use Your Words
Beth Buckley of Diary of a Wannabe French Girl
Steff of Iffy Inklings
Valerie Enriquez of Hallo Valerie
Katherine Thornhill of A Bit of Sparklefarkle
Elizabeth Farrar of Bella Vita
Susan of Fleurishing
Yanira Garza of Manolos, Manicures & This Mom
Lesleigh of Pearls on a String
Ladies, please link your posts in the comments section. I can't wait to see your answers.
11 questions for them to answer
1. Pick a travel destination based on food alone. Where is it and what would you eat?
2. Which career would you choose if money was no object?
3. How do you best express your creativity?
4. Why did you start blogging?
5. Do you have a goal or resolution for 2013?
6. Who is your weird celebrity crush?
7. Do you accept leggings as pants? Why or why not?
8. What is the most important lesson you have learned in life, so far?
9. When do you feel the most like your true self?
10. What makes you smile?
11. How do you make time for yourself?